Re: RARA-AVIS: Chandler, Hope, and the HB novel

From: Mark Sullivan ( AnonymeInc@WEBTV.NET)
Date: 27 Jan 2000

There's a line in the movie Clockwise, John Cleese says something like
(but worded better): I can stand the despair, it's the hope I can't handle.

That line really struck home with me and I agree that hope's got a lot to do with the appeal of much HB. The whole genre seems built on the disparity between a character's real life situation and what s/he strives for, still hopes for. The story is built on the character's increasing inability to ignore that contradiction. The character's actions are fueled by the inability to give up hope.

Mark