RARA-AVIS: Why are you here?

From: Sharon Villines ( sharonvillines@prodigy.net)
Date: 27 Jan 2000

> I am probably as guilty as any of measuring the best against other
> genres' worst, although given how trashy some of my faves are, a fan of
> another genre may very well be using them as an example of my genres'
> worst.

One of the ways I find out which subgenre people really like is to ask what they will read without even asking it is good or horrible. I like humorous PI fiction so I read the bad along with the good perfectly happily (or reasonably so). I can only read the best science fiction and the best hardboiled.

I use form instead of formula to describe what people are reading for--"formula" is pejorative and inaccurate. But form is standard and essential in all forms of fiction.

Sharon

--
Sharon Villines, Editor
MacGuffin Guide to Detective Fiction, http://www.macguffin.net