RARA-AVIS: Re: Blade Runner

From: Kevin Burton Smith ( kvnsmith@colba.net)
Date: 27 Jan 2000

Thanks, Bob, and all the others, for letting the secret out of the bag.

DO ANDROIDS DREAM OF ELECTRIC SHEEP is NOT a hard-boiled novel. Repeat: NOT A HARD-BOILED NOVEL.

I read it after countless recommendations from various well-meaning sci-fi friends, who all told me how dark and gritty and noirish it was, a great mix of crime and sci-fi, what a great writer Dick was, how much it was my type of book, and that sort of thing. Maybe they were too busy working on their Spock costumes to actually read the book.

But Bladerunner did spawn a couple of literary sequels by K.W. Jeter, I think his name was. I've only read one, but I liked it a lot. A well-thought out, and honest sequel that at times reads like a noir/sci-fi rewrite of a Grimm's fairy tale.

And Sharon was right on about how we tend to compare the best of our preferred genre with the worst of others. She even proved it with her own funny, though rather off-kilter summary of the hardboiled genre. But Tim wins, for his own over-the-top-rant about whatever it was he was ranting about. Odd, but when Tim confessed that "The cliche about 'ordinary people under extraordinary circumstances' describes what I like best in the plots," I thought he was about to plead the case of all those crime-busting librarians, dental hygienists, dog groomers and others of that ilk who populate all those cozies (See? I can generalize with the best of them!).

>I skip the parts where the hero tell all about his/her political agenda, the
>plight of the homeless, how her/his grandmother saved him/her from
>alcoholism, how his/her buddy married "the girl/guy," and all the parts
>about how he/she "feels." (Being PC can get tedious)

Well, I guess Mike Hammer must be PC, then, what with all his political talk about those pesky Commies. And Tim must really breeze through Ed McBain's books, since his books seem to largely consist of discussions of social conditions, life histories, and how various people react to things. Sorry, but bitching about the evils of political correctness, especially when it has nothing to do with the topic at hand, is what's really tedious.

(Yeah, I know--constant harping about the constant harping about political correctness is just as tedious. Mea culpa.)

Kevin Burton Smith The Thrilling Detective Web Site http://www.colba.net/~kvnsmith/thrillingdetective/ This month: There's still time to vote for the 1999 Thrillies, and check out some thrilling new fiction by Don McGregor and Mark Coggins!