Re: RARA-AVIS: Carter Brown and Frank Kane??

From: Juri Nummelin ( jurnum@utu.fi)
Date: 27 Jan 2000

On Wed, 26 Jan 2000 Z0MB0Y@aol.com wrote:

> Don't know much about these authors, but a local used book store has alot
> of'em. Anybody love or hate these mugs or want to recommend particular books?

Carter Brown AKA Alan Yates, an Australian pb hack, wrote some 300 novels about Al Wheeler and other almost impossibly womanizing P.I's. Not very deep or even self-parodic, like Richard Prather, but perhaps a bit amusing. (The Australian paperback market should be discussed here. What about K.T. McCall and James Dark and Marc Brody? Anyone familiar with these?) Frank Kane - not a brother of Henry Kane - was a prolific hardboiled author, series about Johnny Liddell, very tough P.I. Worth checking out, if they are at least from the midfifties. The later ones are tired.

Juri jurnum@utu.fi