Re: RARA-AVIS: Why Are You Here?

From: James Rogers ( jetan@ionet.net)
Date: 26 Jan 2000

     For somewhat serious reading, I strongly prefer HB. However, I _do_ enjoy reading cozies if they are the completely idiotic ones with the map, the cast of characters, the railway table, etc.. Philo Vance is a good example and, yes, I realize that they are garbage. With the exception of P.D. James (who has a morbid streak that I appreciate), the cozies that I really hate are the ones that actually seem to take themselves somewhat seriously in spite of the fact that the perpetrators carry out their crimes with things like Icicles and Ouija Boards. I also can't bear those things with titles like _The Cat Who Barfed Art Deco_.
     I have a very marked weakness for spy novels, particularly the understated ones. I read one many years ago that actually did verge on the hard-boiled. The title was _A Matter Of Intelligence_. Very depressing story with a Soviet spy protagonist. Can't recall the author which is a shame because I'd love to find another copy.

                             James

                                James