Re: RARA-AVIS: Edward Anderson and A.I. Bezzerides

From: Bob Toomey ( btoomey@javanet.com)
Date: 24 Jan 2000

"Timothy S. Oliver" wrote:

> One of the bad guys in Pelecanos' newest, Shame the Devil, reads "two
> paperback novels by Edward Anderson and A.I. Bezzarides."
>
> Amazon shows one book by Anderson called Thieves Like Us. It apparently was
> made into a movie twice. Once by Altman.

It's one of Altman's best, and the novel is damn good too, more a depression mainstream novel than a genre crime thriller.

> Amazon lists two by Bezzarides. One is called Thieves Market. It's about
> Greek produce haulers in California's Central Valley. Sounds a lot like
> Thieves Highway, the old noir flick with Richard Conte.

You're right about that.

Bezzerides also wrote the source novel, The Long Haul, for They Drive by Night, Directed by Roaul Walsh, and starring Bogart and George Raft. A pretty good flick. I think it's the first movie to show somebody playing pinball -- Roscoe Karnes, in a trucker's dive. I always thought they should have named the World Pinball Championship Award the "Roscoe" after him.

BobT