Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: RARA-AVIS; Whassis like then? and "I Hate That Book"

From: Mark Blumenthal ( blumenidiot@21stcentury.net)
Date: 24 Jan 2000

> > What books/authors do members of the list really, really dislike, maybe
in
> the face of popular or critical opinion. Or is there someone whose work
you
> read and hated at first, but then had a change mind over. Perhaps even the
> other way around, did you totally love someone's work and one day realise
> that they made your teeth itch? Or even someone who you can't read past
> the first paragraph.

Jane, Do you keep on reading an author you hated at first in hope you will eventually love him/her? How many of these books will you read until you decide you really hate the author?

  In general I won't read more from an author if I didn' t like the first book. I didn't care for first Burke book I read so I haven't read more. It may be different series by the same author also. I've read all Block's series and most of his other books, but I didn't care for the Scudder I read so I haven't read more. I think a lot of people on this list used to read and enjoy Robert Parker, but after a while got disenchanted. I got tired of Parnell Hall, and James Doolittle for example. Hall's formula began to pale, and Tom Bethany's atitudes got to me. I think hate is too strong a word. Maybe indifferent would be better. I guess the Keith Snyder book might come close to hate, but it had enough of interest to keep me reading in the hope it would get better. Mark