Re: RARA-AVIS: HARD-BOILED AMERICA

From: Z0MB0Y@aol.com
Date: 24 Jan 2000

I've recently read this book, about the hard-boiled pulps, and was somewhat disappointed. The author (Geoffrey O'Brien) wasted a lot of space on describing the effect of pulp covers on his young psyche, and then said some very general and unorigional things about Hammett, Chandler, Thompson and Goodis. The amazing thing about pulps, for me, is how many great (or at least very good) obscure writers there were in the genre. He also says all the great pulp writers were poets, when a great many were newspaper men, and it showed in their writing. I'm wondering if there isn't a better, more definitive book on the genre...