Re: RARA-AVIS: Reading Scott Turow?

From: a.n.smith ( ansmith@netdoor.com)
Date: 23 Jan 2000

Turow:

> Too many great reads out there to waste any time with this bum, IMHO.

I'll agree with that. I've tried to read them all, and found myself bored about forty pages in, wondering how the hell the critics could rate him so highly. One thing, he started writing these things in the 80s, about a particular type of people in a particular world (lawyers and law), and since then has not changed much in telling these. So I pick up the latest,
"Personal Injuries", hoping for something new, and as I read can't help but feel trapped in this "never left the 80s" cycle.

Probably not a bad writer. But legal thrillers? Almost an oxymoron.

Neil Smith