Re: RARA-AVIS: Edward Anderson and A.I. Bezzerides

From: rik joel carter ( directorik@earthlink.net)
Date: 23 Jan 2000

Greetings,

I subscribed about 2 months ago and have been enjoying all the discussions and great info. I started reading Wade Miller -among others - because of you folks.

I'm a writer/director living in the Los Angeles area. I joined this group after a web search for Richard Prather led me here. Okay, enough of that.

The reason I finally spoke up was because I just happened to meet Mr. Bezzarides last night. (Saturday Jan 22). The Los Angeles MOCA is running a Bogart series and last night they showed to fine prints of THEY DRIVE BY NIGHT and SIROCCO.

Buzz - he insisted I call him Buzz - was the guest speaker. He wrote the novel Long Haul - made as They Drive By Night, and adapted, Coup De Grace (as Sirocco) for the screen.

An interesting man - learned very little about his writing career - he wanted to talk about his childhood. He was the son of a Greek produce hauler in California. I think that explains a lot. Thieves Market and Long Haul are both set there.

He adapted his Thieves Market as Thieves Highway in '49 - adapted On Dangerous Ground in '51 and in '55 adapted A Bullet for Joey and Kiss Me Deadly.

He didn't want to talk about his novels at all. He really loved talking about his childhood. And he was fascinating.

-rik