RARA-AVIS: Edward Anderson and A.I. Bezzerides

From: Timothy S. Oliver ( CSEM@zianet.com)
Date: 23 Jan 2000

One of the bad guys in Pelecanos' newest, Shame the Devil, reads "two paperback novels by Edward Anderson and A.I. Bezzarides."

Amazon shows one book by Anderson called Thieves Like Us. It apparently was made into a movie twice. Once by Altman.

Amazon lists two by Bezzarides. One is called Thieves Market. It's about Greek produce haulers in California's Central Valley. Sounds a lot like Thieves Highway, the old noir flick with Richard Conte.

Both authors wrote in the 30s and 40s. I've never heard of either. Presumably Pelecanos' reference is praise.

Anyone know anything about these two writers?

Tim Oliver