Re: Re - RARA-AVIS: Ex-Con Writers

From: kip.stratton@ni.com
Date: 21 Jan 2000

I read a novel a few years ago by Richard Stratton (no relation) called SMACK GODDESS that I liked quite a lot. Stratton wrote it while doing time for, I believe, smuggling hash. He had a great article in ESQUIRE two or three months ago about a guard at a hellhole California prison (I forget the name of it, being much more familiar with Texas hellhole prisons myself). A one-time chum of Norman Mailer (and may still be, for all I know), he's married to (or at least I think he's married to) Kim Wolzencraft, the former Texas undercover cop who, of course, wrote RUSH. The last I knew he was editing a prison magazine of some sort. The only other book of his that I know about is a guide to prison tattoos, which I snatched up as soon as I saw it on the shelf (highly recommend it). Anyway, I thought SMACK GODDESS was a good book, but I never hear anybody talk about it. And sorry about all the parentheses.,

Kip Stratton