Re: RARA-AVIS: Pulp writers

From: Juri Nummelin ( jurnum@utu.fi)
Date: 21 Jan 2000

On Thu, 20 Jan 2000, James Rogers wrote:

> Good job. The only one on the list I recognize is Emile Tepperman.
> Where did you get so much info on these guys? I'm actually gonna save this
> list.

Thanks for compliments. Emile Tepperman is good, he's like Carroll John Daly, but totally without his confused plots but with all his violence, at least in his Ed Race stories, some of which have actually been anthologized (available through Pulp Fiction Central, whose URL escapes me at the moment).

Where did I get the info? Peeping the tiny pictures from the books that reproduce the covers of pulp magazines. Well, I had a good source book: Michael Cook's "Detective, Thriller and Espionage Magazines" - which seems to be available through abebooks at 75 $. It lists every known pulp magazine ever printed, but the lack of free copy libraries in the US seems to have prevented checking them all. (In Finland we have a law that at least three copies of every work in print, including leaflets and advertisements, must be sent to the university libraries. That's what I mean by a free copy library.)

All information I manage to gather about pulp authors will be in my pulp/paperback bibliography, but only in Finnish!

Juri jurnum@utu.fi