Re: RARA-AVIS: Pelecanos - Shame the Devil.

From: a.n.smith ( ansmith@netdoor.com)
Date: 17 Jan 2000

> Have just been handed the (new?) Pelecanos book - Shame the Devil.
> Where / How does this fit into the whole Pelecanos ouvre?
> Is it any good? Any comments?

It's very new, and the fourth novel of the "DC Quartet", while shoehorning into the NIck Stefanos series. I think it's a great book, as Pelecanos is a great writer who hasn't let me down much, but it seems to be missing an element that I can't put my finger on. Not gonna ruin it for you, though. I think Marcus Clay, a great character from the last two books, gets short shrift here because of Nick Stefanos's major part in interacting with Dimitri Karras. However, I think it is one of the better Stefanos novels, told in third person instead of first, and showing us what he's turned into since our last contemporary look at the guy (He's in King Suckerman and Sweet Forever, but those are historical, and he's a bit player.)

I'll read everything this guy writes.

Neil Smith