Re: RARA-AVIS: unions

From: Anders Engwall ( Anders.Engwall@uab.ericsson.se)
Date: 17 Jan 2000

stephen holden:

> I recently read Ross Thomas' 'The Porkchoppers' and Pete Dexter's 'Brotherly
> Love', both of which concern the dark side of American unions. Can anyone
> recommend any other novels in this area?

It may not classify as HB, but I think Budd Schulberg's
"On the Waterfront" should be mentioned.

Even though the film (which I assume everyone knows of) isn't exactly "Mary Poppins", it is still more upbeat than the novel, which is *very* grim.

The same relation between grimness in novel and film also holds for Schulberg's "The Harder They Fall".