Re: RARA-AVIS: Ed McBain

From: Anders Engwall ( Anders.Engwall@uab.ericsson.se)
Date: 17 Jan 2000

james.doherty@gsa.gov:

> Sixth, somone mentioned Sjowall & Wahloo. I recall reading an interview in
> which the Wahloos said they were inspired to write Swedish-set police
> procedurals after translating several of McBain's novels into Swdish.

I'm not so sure about this. Their translations were published during 1968 and 1969, whereas the Martin Beck series had been started in 1965. I even learned that S&W were chosen as translators because of their novels. Of course, it is likely that they picked up further inspiration from the translating, and they may even have been among the few who read McBain in the fifties and early sixties and decided on their own series from that. I dunno.

Btw, both McBain and S&W would have been on my Blown Away list. McBain for "Hail, Hail, the Gang's All Here", S&W for "Polis, polis, potatismos" (hey, I don't even *dare* guessing how that title was translated...). Picked'em both up when I was 12 or 13 or so.