Re: RARA-AVIS: Fredric Brown, Leigh Brackett and a question.

From: Juri Nummelin ( jurnum@utu.fi)
Date: 17 Jan 2000

On Sat, 8 Jan 2000, Mario Taboada wrote:

> David Bell:
> << Along the same lines, are there any authors who
> write hard-boiled westerns?
>
> Several, off the top of my head. Max Brand, Frank
> Gruber, Merle Constiner, Loren Estleman, and last, one
> of the best: Bill Crider, our resident Human
> Encyclopedia. Could Zane Grey be considered
> hardboiled?
> The great Erle Stanley Gardner also wrote westerns
> (stories; I don't know if there are novels).

Couple pulp mystery writers that I've been reading wrote westerns: Philip Ketchum, Steve Frazee, Joseph Chadwick, Tom Roan, Paul Chadwick. Whether they are hardboiled, I don't know, but there sure are many mystery elements in almost every western story I've read. In Joseph Chadwick's "Cattle Ranch" (name translated from Finnish translation!) Steve Reese, some kind of cowboys' union's security man, tries to find some cowboy who got killed during the cattle ride. That's sure rather close to typical hardboiled mystery novel!

Juri jurnum@utu.fi who is finally getting his 600 Christmas messages read...