Re: RARA-AVIS: More questions about more books

From: Bob Toomey ( btoomey@javanet.com)
Date: 16 Jan 2000

Doug Bassett wrote:

> I recently found another batch of paperbacks, and, as
> usual, I'd like to know what anyone out there thinks
> about them:
>
> Peter Rabe -- WAR OF THE DONS

Not one of Rabe's better novels. This was written late in his career and the decline from his really good work was steep. One of his best, THE BOX, was reprinted in the Gorman PURE PULP anthology, along with Fredric Brown's excellent novella, "Obit for Obie."

> Jonathan Latimer -- THE LADY IN THE MORGUE

A first rate hardboiled screwball comedy. All of Latimer's stuff is well worth reading, and this is one of his best.

| Charles Jackson -- THE LOST WEEKEND

A classic, but very depressing. The Billy Wilder movie is better than the book.

BobT