RARA-AVIS: Re: Miami Blues

From: Ziggy Nix ( ziggy@wilmington.net)
Date: 14 Jan 2000

I first encountered Willeford in "The Pick-up" and then read
"Miami Blues" and was just shocked at how versatile Willeford's writing is. Pick-up is wonderful in its own right, but Miami Blues just ran me over. Willeford has this wonderful ability to play with little happenings that slowly evolve into main themes, such as the breaking of the guy's finger at the airport, which in my opinion is probably the craziest (and funny in my mind) cause of death I've seen in a novel. And the strangest part is you do not question the viability of someone dying of a broke finger. So there.

Cheers, Ziggy Nix