RARA-AVIS: Re:THE LONG GOODBYE and...cats?

From: Ziggy Nix ( ziggy@wilmington.net)
Date: 14 Jan 2000

My throwaway opinion (I haven't seen the discussed version) is that if this is a "treatment" of hard-boiled/noirish conventions then the cat could be Marlowe's "female" companion. Femme fatales in Chandler's work are often described with feline oriented terms. I believe Carmen and Vivian are both described as cat-like women and this tendency is repeated often throughout the HD genre (not only hard-boiled, but some other genres have it also). So that's my rant on the cat in The Long Goodbye, and I will probably not see the movie because of the descriptions I've read of the movie, I don't think it's my cup of black coffee. Cheers, Ziggy Nix