Re: RARA-AVIS: Ed McBain

From: Roy Epstein ( dortmunder2@yahoo.com)
Date: 13 Jan 2000

--- Brian Lawrence < bdlawrence@netscape.net> wrote:
> Yes, I'm a big McBain fan, at least the 87th
> Precinct series. Read one
> Matthew Hope, it wasn't bad, but different.
>
> My favorite McBain is the first one I read, POISON.
> Excellent premise and the
> twists and turns were worth the price of admission.
>
> And I agree, his dialogue is second to none. I
> especially like it when he
> gets three going, two cops and a bad guy, never uses
> tags, and still, it's
> easy to tell who is who.
>
> And the most amazing thing is he can keep this three
person dialogue going for, in some cases, seven or eight pages without a break. Most writers who would attempt this would probably fall on their face, but McBain not only pulls it off, he makes it look effortless. You read the pages so darn quick that you never even realize you just read eight pages of straight dialogue!

Roy