Re: RARA-AVIS: Still on "Detour"

From: Juri Nummelin ( jurnum@utu.fi)
Date: 13 Jan 2000

On Wed, 12 Jan 2000, Dave wrote:

> Trolling through Ebay a while back, I saw the original hardcover by Martin
> Goldsmith. Indeed it was a book first, albeit an extremely rare one!

> > The Finnish scholar of American
> > film Matti Salo claims that it's based on the screenwriter Martin
> > Goldsmith's own novel, but Silver & Ward's "Film Noir" says that
> > Goldsmith only wrote the screenplay.

So we Finns do it better! If you ever get a chance to learn Finnish, do it: this Matti Salo guy has written exhaustive studies about Joseph Losey, Abraham Polonsky and the Hollywood black list - all very essential for rara-avians. And his film noir filmography in "Sein䊊vastassa" (up against the wall, the Finnish name for Curtis Bernhardt's film "High Wall" (1949?)) is far better than anything I've seen.

Juri jurnum@utu.fi