RE: RARA-AVIS: THE LONG GOODBYE and...cats?

From: Martha Fischer ( sakana@stlnet.com)
Date: 12 Jan 2000

well, chandler was a cat lover, as was marlowe (in farewell, my lovely, he says brunette "had a cat smile, but i like cats")....perhaps that's got something to do with it.

martha sakana@stlnet.com <mailto: sakana@stlnet.com>

-----Original Message----- From: owner-rara-avis@icomm.ca [mailto: owner-rara-avis@icomm.ca]On Behalf Of Karen Anderson Sent: Wednesday, January 12, 2000 9:21 PM To: rara-avis@icomm.ca Subject: RARA-AVIS: THE LONG GOODBYE and...cats?

Can anyone suggest why Robert Altman's 1973 film of THE LONG GOODBYE had Phillip Marlowe (played by Elliot Gould) owning a cat? Scanning quickly through the book itself, I could find no mention of a cat. The question is, am I missing some hint about a cat in the original text?

Many thanks. And hope I'm not too off-topic for the list.

Karen