RARA-AVIS: My blown away list

From: Juri Nummelin ( jurnum@utu.fi)
Date: 11 Jan 2000

Sorry to get to this so late - I still have some 400 RARA-AVIS messages to be read after Christmas and New Year (didn't you do anything else besides writing these lists..?).

My list is pretty apparent:

Classics: Chandler Ross Macdonald Hammett (but not "The Thin Man" and "The Dain Curse")

Newer ones: Ellroy Joe R. Lansdale (even though I'm not a fan of his horror stuff)

But I got hooked up on HB in the movies, seeing "The Big Sleep" with my father in the age of 13 or something. I can skip the books, but the films make my heart ache for more.

I'd like to have W.T. Ballard or Geoffrey Homes or David Goodis in my list, but it's so hard to get their books in Finland. And only one or two have been published in Finnish. But if John K. Butler had written novels, I'd be happy to include them. His stories about Steve Midnight are great. (By the way, nobody has mentioned Geoffrey Homes during my time on this list. Why?)

Juri jurnum@utu.fi