RARA-AVIS: Questions about Max Thursday

From: Doug Bassett ( dj_bassett@yahoo.com)
Date: 10 Jan 2000

I just got through reading a handful of Wade Miller's Max Thursday pi novels (FATAL STEP, UNEASY STREET, MURDER CHARGE, and SHOOT TO KILL). They range from the decent (FATAL STEP) to the really good (UNEASY STREET, which is full of amusing scam artists and good double/triple/quadruple crosses) to the excellent
(SHOOT TO KILL, my favorite from this bunch -- lots of anger, sweaty jealousy, and unhappiness here). The only one I didn't like was MURDER CHARGE, mainly because I just didn't buy the initial premise -- that the cops would pick a pi to infiltrate the mob for them. That one probably should've been a non-series book.

Max Thursday must be the hardest working pi in the business: the books are all told in real time and the guy never seems to sleep.

Anyhow, a couple of questions:

1. I know there are other books in the series. Anyone have any opinions on those?

2. That name, "Thursday", is kind of off-putting.
(I've never met anyone named after a day of the week, anyway.) Is this supposed to be a tip of the hat to G.K. Chesterson's THE MAN WHO WAS THURSDAY?

3. Just out of curiousity, does anyone know how Wade and Miller collaborated on these and other books? They apparently enjoyed a long and fruitful partnership.

Thanks!

doug

===== Doug Bassett dj_bassett@yahoo.com