Re: RARA-AVIS: Fredric Brown, Leigh Brackett and a question.

From: Mark Sullivan ( AnonymeInc@WEBTV.NET)
Date: 08 Jan 2000

I know there are authors who have melded the genres, but are there current hard boiled authors prominent in both fields? If so, is their work in sf/fantasy close to hard boiled?

Well, there is certainly Joe Lansdale, who has toiled in many a genre, including hardboiled, western, sci-fi, horror, juvenile and comic books. I've only begun on Lansdale, but I'm really liking what I'm reading. Thanks to whoever on the list mentioned his name the time that finally tipped the scales in favor of my picking up his books. Also, he wrote PI fiction with Lewis Shiner, who has written sci-fi, fantasy, comic books, etc.

John Shirley has written sci-fi, horror and some noir.

So there are at least a few current writers who dabble in both fields.

Oh yeah, Westlake wrote a sci-fi book, Anarchaos, under the name Curt Clark. Wasn't it somewhat recently reprinted with some sci-fi shorts he wrote?

Mark