Re: RARA-AVIS: you're HOW old?

From: Timothy S. Oliver ( CSEM@zianet.com)
Date: 05 Jan 2000

I am vintage 1951.

My older brother was always feeding me his favorites. Never did the Hardy Boys. Started with James Bond, graduated to Travis McGee. Chandler, Hammet and Ross McDonald followed.

Left home and brother's influence at 17. Got by somehow until the early 80's when I discovered Elmore Leonard in the Soda Springs, Idaho, public library. If you have ever been to Soda Springs, you'll know why I took up reading in earnest while living there.

Followed the better-knowns (Burke, Connely, McBain, Block, RB Parker) until I found Amazon. I then started following the strings and discovered Crumley, Willeford, Jim Thompson and Richard Stark.

This list has been so fine. When I see a name I don't know, I go back to Amazon or over to Bookmans for a sample. Goodis, Charles Williams and Pelecanos are three great discoveries I can thank you folks for. Returning that favor, I offer E. Richard Johnson. Johnson's terrific. Haven't seen him mentioned here much.

Tim Oliver