Re: RARA-AVIS: you're HOW old?

From: kip.stratton@ni.com
Date: 05 Jan 2000

Hey Maura -- Both of us born in '55 and neither one of us looks a day over 25 -- that's pretty damned good!

If I had to play the game of choosing one book that I wished that I'd written
(except, of course, for DIMM), I'd have to choose EXECUTIONER'S SONG. I've read it three times now....it's just amazing. Mikal Gilmore's memoir SHOT IN THE HEART is a pretty remarkable work of true crime writing as well.

Later...Kip

Maura McMillan < mmcm@azstarnet.com> on 01/05/2000 05:00:45 PM

Please respond to rara-avis@icomm.ca

To: rara-avis@icomm.ca cc: (bcc: Kip Stratton/AUS/NIC) Subject: Re: RARA-AVIS: you're HOW old?

kip -

i read executioner's song whenever it was published -late 70s - and found a nice tie-in in dreiser's american tragedy. mailer certainly has opted for money as opposed to art, but executioner's song is a well-written and insightful book. sort of 'found art.' hey -i was born in 1955 too.

At 04:30 PM 1/5/2000 -0600, you wrote:
>Born in '55 (sheesh, Eisenhower's FIRST term in office). Read Bobbsy (sp?)
>Twins and Hardy Boys as a young, young boy (ah, the wonderful old Carnegie
>Library in Guthrie, Oklahoma), then progressed on to all the Sherlock
Holmes in
>junior high. Also read all the James Bond books about that time, plus some
>Spillane. Got really snooty in high school, only reading Hemingway,
Fitzgerald,
>Faulkner etc. Got even snootier when I went off to college to major in
English
>-- Updike, Bellow, Welty, Oates, Heller, and so forth. A few things
happened at
>once: I read Walker Percy's LANCELOT, which is an existential crime
novel. I
>read Norman Mailer's AN AMERICAN DREAM, another existential crime novel
(and a
>great one, IMHO) that I think owes a great deal to hard-boiled writers. I
saw
>the film version of THEY SHOOT HORSES, DON'T THEY? on TV and shortly
thereafter
>found a paperback edition of the novel plus the screenplay. Then my
mother gave
>me a copy of John D.'s THE DREADFUL LEMON SKY and I read a good profile of
>MacDonald by Rust Hill in ESQUIRE. Then an amigo lent me THE LONG GOODBYE
and
>said it might be the REAL great American novel (I'm not sure I disagree).
Then
>I read Capote's and Mailer's "nonfiction" true crime novels (IN COLD BLOOD
and
>EXECUTIONER'S SONG, respectively). Finally, one day I had a moment of
epiphany
>and realized that Charles Willeford is a more important writer than Saul
Bellow.