RE: RARA-AVIS: you're HOW old?

From: John & Carrie ( johncarrie@sprynet.com)
Date: 05 Jan 2000

> > At any rate, rather than accepting the generalizations I've
> seen posted to
> > this group, I'm curious about your ages and reading history.

Born in '57. Started out reading the classics when I was encouraged to do so by my Mom, such as Charles Dickens, Robert Lewis Stevenson, Jules Verne, the Brontes, at al. By the time I was in high school I was heavily into the Beats. In College I got heavily into sci-fi with an emphasis on Philip K. Dick and J.G. Ballard. In law school I started reading the postmodernist types such as Thomas Pynchon, Don DeLillo, etc. After academics I got into Jim Thompson when the first Black Lizards came out. Got into hard-boiled and noir last year when on a whim I bought the Library of America's two volume Crime Novels set and American Tabloid. And here I am.

In the late eighties early nineties I did a sort of underground samizdat zine devoted to the Cleveland Indians only tangentially. It was called Tribe Tract & Testimonial and it's been recently revived at http://homestead.deja.com/user.tribejr/ttt.html Someday it may have more content.

Tribe