RARA-AVIS: Still graying

From: abc@wt.net
Date: 05 Jan 2000

First, let me say to Bill (Hagen, not myself) that I'm even grayer now than when you met me in San Antonio. That was great conference, though, and I made a side trip to a used-book store on St. Mary's street, one of those great ones with books double-stacked to the ceiling and a wooden floor that creaked underfoot as if threatening imminent collapse.

And I didn't mean to imply that I'd tired of SF. I still read it, and one of the great books I got for Christmas was Frank Robinson's SCIENCE FICTION IN THE 20TH CENTURY. Ah, those covers!

But to get on topic, I forgot to mention my introduction to Spillane, another great discovery of my teen years. And of course I went through the Hardy Boys books, Nancy Drew, and even Judy Bolton. But that was when I was too young to buy my own books and had to rely on the public library. OK, OK, I'll admit it. I read the Bobbsey Twins, too.

Bill Crider