Re: RARA-AVIS: blown away - the results.

From: james.doherty@gsa.gov
Date: 05 Jan 2000

Like Bob, I'm mildly surprised that Chandler got the nod over Hammett, but remember the parameters were not "the best five," but "the five who most turned us on when we first read them to the degree that we tried to read everything else by them." That kind of experience happened to me in my high school days, and I submit that that's when most of the people on this list had that experience. That being the case, Chandler's pre-eminence seems easily explained. As for the more obscure older writers like Cleve Adams, Frederic Nebel, etc., most people in the age group of this list didn't have ready access to those writers.

Thanks to Mark for all the time and trouble he took compiling the results.

JIM DOHERTY