RARA-AVIS: List and Manuel Vazquez Montalban in English

From: Mbdlevin@aol.com
Date: 02 Jan 2000

Just caught up on the digests--looks like there was a list thing going on.

I have an English language copy of Montalban's La Soledad del Manager, translated as The Angst-Ridden Executive. It was published in Serpent's Tail
"Mask Noir" series in 1990--before the publisher had an office in the U.S., I think. Amazon U.S. lists a few other titles. I haven't read any of his stuff. I think he's a columnist for "Pais," which is (I believe) the major left-leaning daily in Spain (or at least Madrid) (but I could be wrong).

Rather than name the usual suspects (for me, Chandler, Hammett, Willeford, etc.), let me name the five that I caught up with and read in the last year or so that were good/compelling/memorable (no order): Jonathan Latimer, Ted Lewis, Derek Raymond, Peter Rabe, Howard Browne (aka John Evans). --Doug (a different one)