Re: RARA-AVIS: BUG ALERT(Blown away)

From: Mark Blumenthal ( blumenidiot@21stcentury.net)
Date: 05 Jan 1980

Ned Fleming:

> To be honest, the above three just barely make the "blown away" cut.
> None of them compare to the -- what do I call it? -- sudden
> intuitive realization of reading a masterpiece as Patrick O'Brian's
> "Master and Commander" gave me. But O'Brian operates in another
> genre, heck, I'll say it, another level, than does hardboiled
> literature.

Techically, the books could qualify for mention becuse Maturin is a spy and there is plenty in the series that could be considered hard boiled, but I think O'Brian's style and treatment of his material is so much like something written in the nineteenth century that it would fail even a very liberalized definition of hard boiled. Mark