Re: RARA-AVIS: Spanish Hard-Boiled

From: Mrriter@aol.com
Date: 01 Jan 2000

PatZ : Thanks for the nice comments about my books. I don't consider the Montez stories hard boiled, but, on the other hand, I don't think Montez is a wimp. A bit cynical and jaded, yes. Back on topic, I would recommend Paco Taibo especially The Shadow of the Shadow. 1920s Mexico City, left over revolutionaries, and a deadly conspiracy plot involving big oil and treason. Just for the record, my top 5 (as defined by the original poster) would be Hammett, Chandler, James Cain (I go back to him regularly), Leonard and Goodis. By the way, I've been on this list since August, 1997, don't post much, but I want to wish all the rara-avians feliz ano nuevo. Manuel Ramos