RARA-AVIS: Re: Blown Away, in all kinda ways

Kevin Burton Smith (kvnsmith@colba.net)
Fri, 31 Dec 1999 12:36:49 -0400

Gee, I'm not sure how I could list just five authors that blew me away. Of course, Hammett, Chandler and Macdonald and MacDonald would be on it. But that almost goes without saying.

So here's five that nobody else, as far as I know, have bothered to list. Just to skewer the results a bit. Authors that blew me away on first readings.

Michael Collins Stephen Greenleaf Neil Albert Norbert Davis Bill Pronzini

Not that they've all been consistently rewarding (although, mostly, they have), and at least in Davis' case, it's been damn hard to find his stuff. Part of the problem with this list is that it takes into account not just the quality of the book, but the circumstances in which you've read it. How can you rush out and buy all the works of a first-time novelist? Or an obscure pulpster whose works are justifiably affordable only to collectors? And if a boxload of an author's books is dumped on you, are you reading them because they're there, or because the first so impressed you?

Anyway, I'll gladly post the results of the list on my site, once it's compiled, if it's okay with folks here. And, speaking of my site, I spent yesterday trying to dig up info on FALLEN ANGELS (see what ya started, Eddie?).

A first whack at an entry is now up on my site, at http://www.colba.net/~kvnsmith/thrillingdetective/eyes/fallen.html . If anyone can fill in any blanks, it'll be much appreciated.

Oh, and if it's the end of the world as we know it, I feel fine.

Top of the world, Ma!

Kevin