RARA-AVIS: on Ellroy/Top 5

hugh (hugh@pinn.net)
Thu, 30 Dec 1999 19:29:06 +0100

The points on Ellroy being hard to follow are, I think, well taken. Besides his machine-gun pace, his stories are so tightly plotted that you'd better not let a novel lapse for two or three days or you'll forget what came before.

That said, I would still put Ellroy in my top five. (Hammett, Chandler, Crumley, Ellroy and ..... maybe Pelecanos or Frederic Nebel, who is still one of my favorite Blask Mask Boys.

For a first-time Ellroy read, I would recommend his shorter stuff.

Hugh Lessig

hardboiled newsmen live at http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Shadowlands/8002/