RARA-AVIS: My Five

Bruce Townley (btownley@sirius.com)
Thu, 30 Dec 1999 15:56:15 -0800 (PST)

Following is my list of "established hard boiled authors have ever you read whose work that so blew you away on first exposure that you tried to find and then read all they had written as soon as possible". They are listed in the order that I discovered em, and the first book read, where possible.

1) Dashiell Hammett [THE BIG KNOCKOVER] 2) Raymond Chandler [one of the novels-think it was FAREWELL, MY LOVELY] 3) Jim Thompson [THE GETAWAY] 4) James Ellroy [THE BLACK DAHLIA] 5) Richard Stark [POINT BLANK]

I'm also very fond of John D. McDonald's Travis McGee series as well as Gores' DKA books.

Bruce T. = btownley@sirius.com

"I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of crowds."

-Isaac Newton