RE: RARA-AVIS: hb list

Mario Taboada (matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Thu, 30 Dec 1999 12:30:10 -0800 (PST)

<<I've been following the lists with interest myself. I've been astounded that there have been very few mentions of Jim Thompson.>>

I love Jim Thompson, but I have to read his novels with long breaks in between. His stuff is too strong
(haunting may be a more precise word). Unlike many other fine authors, he didn't rely on technique and ambience but on a fabulous imagination. In that, he was one of the best. I still have three or four unread Black Lizards by Thompson. For reasons that Freud and Jung Investigative Services, Inc. would find interesting, I am in no hurry to fill the gaps in my Thompson reading.

By contrast, I have read every Willeford book the same day I got it. This guy must have been the most compelling writer in the entire genre. Nobody writes like him.

Regards,

mt