Re: RARA-AVIS: House of Whacks (and Filth)

Mark Sullivan (AnonymeInc@webtv.net)
Thu, 30 Dec 1999 10:20:31 -0500 (EST)

Hey Ed, Marabou Stork Nightmare is, indeed, another Welsh, his best in my mind. The entire story is told from the perspective of a man in a coma who floats between levels of consciousness as he tries to avoid some horrible memory.

The title of Jesus' Son does come from the Velvet Underground song Heroin.

Back on topic: I am also disappointed when a nasty main character's nastiness must be explained. I saw Talented Mr. Ripley yesterday. Why did they feel compelled to dilute Ripley's sociopathic tendencies by having him show remorse? It just didn't fit -- worry about being caught, maybe, but remorse? And this from a writer/drector who had no problem depicting a Nazi collaborator as a romantic hero in his last film, English Patient. Why don't filmmakers, mostly American, realize that unrelenting evil can be exciting and fascinating on screen -- just look at Hannibal Lecter -- why must they so often make them "human" and explain away the pathology, making him/her sympathetic or pitied? Revulsion can be just as, if not more interesting.

I also agree with the list-member who felt the final bit should have been left out. There was absolutely no reason for it. The movie would have been stronger had it ended when Ripley waved goodbye to Mr. Greenleaf. Oh well, still enjoyable, though.

Mark