RARA-AVIS: House of Whacks (and Filth)

ejm duggan (ejmd@cwcom.net)
Thu, 30 Dec 1999 14:01:39 +0000

AnonymeInc@webtv.net (Mark Sullivan) wrote:

>Just to clarify, A Confederacy of Dunces is a great book, but it's not
> hardboiled, noir, a cop book or anything having to do with this list.
> It's just the outspoken misanthropy of Filth that reminded me of it,
and
> the fascination with digestive functions.

Thanks for the clarification.

I finished _Filth_ btw, and found it, for the most part, delightfully disgusting ... not a book for the squeamish.

I was a bit disappointed that Robertson's misanthropy couldn't just
*be*, but had to be *explained*.

The ending was, of course, as it had to be; there's only one way this kind of book can end, it's just a matter of how to bring it off ... file near _The Killer Inside Me_ ...

> Marabou Stork Nightmare

Another Welsh?

> Speaking of dark heroin stories, one of e better ones is Denis
Johnson's
> Jesus' Son.

Is that from the line in the Lou Reed song, 'Heroin': '... I feel just like Jesus's son...'

ED