Re: RARA-AVIS: Thoughts and Shots

Mario Taboada (matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Tue, 28 Dec 1999 08:36:20 -0800 (PST)

I think that Hemingway's best work (say, _The Sun Also Rises_) ranks with the great literature of this or any century. Yes, he wrote some weak books, but when he was on, his touch and sensitivity were magical.His work as a journalist (what I've seen of it) is also magisterial. And yes, I would say he's the father of much hardboiled writing, with heavy influence on luminaries like Hammett, Whitfield, Cain, Elmore Leonard, John D. MacDonald, and so many others. Another heavy influence on hardboiled is John O'Hara, a sadly forgotten master.

I've already mentioned a very good Hemingway retrospective put on by the New York Times (it's on their web site). It's well worth reading.

Regards,

===== Mario Taboada

"To a mouse, cheese is cheese: that is why mousetraps work." (Unattributed)