Re: RARA-AVIS: House of Whacks (and Filth)

Mark Sullivan (AnonymeInc@webtv.net)
Tue, 28 Dec 1999 10:12:18 -0500 (EST)

Ed, Just to clarify, A Confederacy of Dunces is a great book, but it's not hardboiled, noir, a cop book or anything having to do with this list. It's just the outspoken misanthropy of Filth that reminded me of it, and the fascination with digestive functions.

Again, not really on topic, Trainspotting was great -- well, that's sort of on topic, I would certainly argue it was hardboiled, it has tons of attitude and the language is so colloquial that this American was accosting anyone with a British or better yet Scottish accent to ask the meaning of numerous slang terms -- but Marabou Stork Nightmare was even better.

Speaking of dark heroin stories, one of e better ones is Denis Johnson's Jesus' Son. I'm really looking forward to the upcoming movie. I hope they don't blow it too bad.

Mark