Re: RARA-AVIS: Thoughts and Shots

James Rogers (jetan@ionet.net)
Mon, 27 Dec 1999 18:52:11 -0600

At 07:12 PM 12/27/99 -0500, you wrote:
>James,
>I'll grant you that Hemingway's "aim of achievement" was higher. Which
>brings up the always intriguing and probably never answerable question:
>Which is better a fully realized work of limited goals or a flawed
>masterpiece? I've never been able to come up with a consistent scale
>even for myself, much less generalizable to others. I seem to always
>answer it on a case-by-case basis.
>
>Mark

    Well, ol' feller, I kinda agree with you there. In the case of Hemingway, I think the early stories and the first novel work better than Chandler/Hammett/Cain. Each successive book works less well until finally I would read any of those guys before reading a Hemingway. Probably the break is around _For Whom The Bell Tolls_ which is pretty cornball in my opinion.
     Good question, though, and I can understand that some might answer it a different way, both toward the highbrow and the 'lowfaluting.

                           James