Re: RARA-AVIS: Thoughts and Shots

Mark Sullivan (
Mon, 27 Dec 1999 19:12:32 -0500 (EST)

James, I'll grant you that Hemingway's "aim of achievement" was higher. Which brings up the always intriguing and probably never answerable question: Which is better a fully realized work of limited goals or a flawed masterpiece? I've never been able to come up with a consistent scale even for myself, much less generalizable to others. I seem to always answer it on a case-by-case basis.