Re: RARA-AVIS: Thoughts and Shots

a.n.smith (
Mon, 27 Dec 1999 12:24:23 -0600

On the Insider:

Haven't seen it. But interesting enough, parts of it were shot in my Mississippi home town, since the real case had some connections here as well.

On "Hardboiled":

There was a companion 2000 desk calender, which I got for my office. Every week, a shot or poster from a HB/Noir (interchangeable, ok?) and a great line. And sure, maybe To Have and Have Not wasn't so noir of a moive, but what a great crime novel. Very underappreciated by Hemingway crits, and one of my faves. I think he was going for a little Cain in that one.