Re: RARA-AVIS: All Kinds of Things

Bruce Townley (btownley@sirius.com)
Sun, 26 Dec 1999 09:01:14 -0800 (PST)

On Sat, 25 Dec 1999 at 07:47 Jim Doherty sent: All Kinds of Things

>IN CLOSING: Hope everyone on the list has a Merry Christmas. God Bless
>You All.

Thanks very kindly and let me express similar seasonal good wishes for all of the list members.

I recieved an on-topic gift, coincidentally enough. It's a little art book by Peggy Thompson and Saeko Usukawa entitled HARD-BOILED, Great Lines from Classic Noir Films. While some of the titles they choose to quote from are just a little difficult to justify as being noirs (BODY AND SOUL? TO HAVE AND HAVE NOT? Huh?) it <is> a tasty little graphical package with well-chosen and placed stills and lobby cards to break up the the snippets of filmic deadpan dialog. It's hard <not> to like a book that blurbs itself with this line from THE BIG CARNIVAL: "I don't pray. Kneeling bags my nylons."

Bruce T. = btownley@sirius.com
"Memorize Lou Bega's "Mambo No. 5" now, so you can continue to enjoy it after there are no radio stations."

--from THE ONION's "Y2K Survival Tips"