RARA-AVIS: Re: RARA-AVIS Digest V2 #1014

Paul J. Giguere (pgiguere@ultranet.com)
Fri, 24 Dec 1999 23:42:55 -0500

> > "Bladerunner" is an example where
> > voice-overs hurt the pace of the film. The director's cut of "Bladerunner"
> > doesn't have voice-overs.
>
>I agree. Apparently the voice-overs were an afterthought and a failure
>of nerve on the part of the studio. They were afraid people wouldn't
>understand the movie, so the voice-overs were added to explain things,
>although they never did get around to explaining the title. Anyway, the
>director's cut works much better for me.
>
>BTW, The Phillip K. Dick novel that "Bladerunner" was based on is well
>worth reading, and has one of the all time great titles: "Do Androids
>Dream of Electric Sheep?"

Phillip K. Dick was a great writer and DADoES was a truly great novel. Another science fiction/detective novel set in the future was Alfred Bester's THE DEMOLISHED MAN. Definitely worth a read. I'm not as fond however of Isaac Asimov's two cross-genre novels CAVES OF STEEL and NAKED SUN.

Paul