Re: RARA-AVIS: Pete Hautman

Mark Blumenthal (blumenidiot@21stcentury.net)
Fri, 24 Dec 1999 15:18:45 -0600

Kate Derie wants to know if there are
> lit. Any other opinions on Hautman?

I thought Ring Game was his weakest I've read. There is always a lot of humor in his books, but his first two, The Drawing Dead and Short Money in order published, are much grimmer. He reminds me a little of a Hiaasen, but he doesn't have so many of the grotesgue elements at the end of his books. Hie is less over the top. His characters are certainly individual, but their wierdness and happenings don't escalate into being unbelievable. When I joined this list I suggested to Bill that he put The Drawing Dead on the reading list. Obviously, I really like his books. If people haven't read him, Short Money is a prequel to The Drawing Dead. Mark