Thu, 23 Dec 1999 19:25:04 EST

<< As for killing those series characters off at 7 books, I see that Ed McBain's 50th (!) 87th precinct novel is about to hit the shelves.

As it happens, I was assigned to review McBain's 50th. Not his best. Not his worst. Entertaining to the end. I don't know how he keeps it fresh after 50. I'm scheduled to interview him early next month. That's my one and only question. For those who care, I would be happy to post his answer.

Jean Heller, who said earlier today she was going back to lurking but hasn't yet.