Re: RARA-AVIS: Huh?

Doug Bassett (dj_bassett@yahoo.com)
Thu, 23 Dec 1999 10:48:23 -0800 (PST)

A more simple answer, I think, might be that writers get bored with the character and run out of stories to tell. If the series becomes popular then the problem's compounded, because the writer experiences economic pressures to keep something going, even when his heart's not in it.

(That's why I'm always interested in a series "cut-off point" -- the point beyond which the books start to stink. Every series will reach that point sooner or later, I think.)

The only exception I can think of is the Travis McGee series, and there, I'd argue, the weak books are at the beginning.

doug